Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Taxpayers Living Abroad

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.  Click here, for specific information on U.S. citizen or resident alien taxes. 

Formerly, Embassies provided assistance to taxpayers by providing tax forms.  However, as the IRS has increased online availability, forms are now available by visiting  Thus, the Embassy no longer stocks or is able to provide paper copies of tax forms.  Many taxpayers abroad can also use the e-file system.  It’s quick, easy, and secure.

For general and detailed information on Federal Taxes, please visit the website of the Internal Revenue Service.

Tax Tips for Tax Year 2011 (Issued January 2012)