Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Birth Abroad

Applying For a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you will need to document your child’s citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth. This document is used in the United States like a certified copy of a birth certificate, and it is acceptable evidence of citizenship for obtaining a passport and entering school.

The Consular Section accepts applications for Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) by appointment only.  To make an appointment for a CRBA, please click here.

Requirements and Application Forms

You will need all of the following:

  1. Completed application form, DS-2029. (PDF)
  2. The child’s foreign birth certificate.
  3. Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.
  4. Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Your child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names on it is the best form of proof. 
  5. If you have prior marriages, we need to see proof of how those marriages ended, and proof of your current marriage.
  6. A statement from either U.S. citizen parent and evidence that they lived in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to their child. The statement you give is called an Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support (PDF). 

How long is long enough?

This will depend on whether the parents are married, and whether one or both is a U.S. citizen. Learn more about transmitting citizenship here

How do you prove you were physically present in the United States?

How you prove you were physically present will depend a lot on your situation. There is no one-size-fits-all answer. Some examples of acceptable evidence include school transcripts, old passports, income tax returns, utility bills in the name of the parent, employment records, military records, and or medical records. The more you can provide, the easier it will be for the consular officer to approve the CRBA.


We charge a fee for this service. The current fee is $100.