Renew an Adult Passport
Applicants renewing a U.S. Passport should submit the form DS-82 if Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change
Applicants who meet all of the above criteria are not required to personally appear at the Embassy. Please send the following items to the Embassy with someone you trust. Please do not send the application and passport by mail.
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must submit the form DS-11.
How to Renew Your U.S. Passport
Step 1: Fill Out Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport Renewal online or by hand.
Please Note that you:
- Must sign the application in you are sending the application with another individual.
- Must provide your SSN in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E. Failure to provide information requested on the form, including your social security number, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
Step 2: Submit Form DS-82: Application for A U.S. Passport Renewal
- Applicants using the DS-82 are not required to appear in person.
- Applicants may send the signed DS-82, documents, and fee with a trusted individual to submit the applicant on their behalf.
Please submit the following:
- Passport renewal application form DS-82. Please fully complete and sign the application.
- Your most recent United States passport.
- Evidence of change of name: If you have changed your name since the last passport was issued, please provide the original marriage certificate or court order.
- Provide One Passport Photo
Your Photograph Must Be:
- In color
- 2 x 2 inches in size
- Printed on thin, photo-quality paper
- Taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance
- Full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Pay the Applicable Fee
Please see Current Passport Fees.
Accepted methods of payments:
- U.S. dollars;
- CFA Francs;
- Credit card – Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club (Crecit cards may only be accepted for American Citizen Services)